I am at a juncture where in I can say I have completed 50% of my Post graduation. What is left is exactly what I have completed of PG. One month of internship, two(one) placement process and three terms. Life hasn't changed from what it was when I made my previous post. Its high time I made a list of mistakes i have made so far so that I could learn something out of it.Not all of them were mistakes when they happened. As it turns out its in retrospection that I realize that they were mistakes. While I can go on editing this post over time, for now I want to make a note of two big mistakes so that I could avoid such mistakes in future.
Mistake 1:
Deciding to not attend FMS interview after converting IIM Lucknow.
Reasons for committing the mistake :
Mistake 2: Tanking the IBM interview in Summers
This was more of a gamble gone wrong rather than a mistake. I would say a honest and rather stupid mistake after looking at what happened at summers.
Mistake 1:
Deciding to not attend FMS interview after converting IIM Lucknow.
Reasons for committing the mistake :
- Perception of grand value of IIM tag.
- Failing to prioritize works.
- No proper knowledge about how to decide a B-school.
- Smugness
- False pride of making to IIML (ranked 4th among best B-schools over FMS at 5th. How stupid I was)
- Whether FMS is a better college over IIML is still debatable when I consider factors like ROI, Brand value and others. ROI was a very important factor which I should have given more importance.
- The main reason why I consider it a mistake is I decided not to attend the interview itself. I decided to tank the interview of a college which was like a dream college to me. More sad thing was the reason I found for tanking the interview. I just prioritized my work more over a life time opportunity of making it to FMS. I should have made it to FMS interview.
- I should have consulted Sandeep's brother who had just passed out of FMS and should have a got a better perspective of B-school decision factors. I was just hesitant and lazy to do that. There were hundred things I could have done to improve my decision and all I did was to bath in the glory of making it to IIML.
- I should have considered Pankaj's suggestion which he had articulated very well. Again I chose to ignore. I was hesitant to test the waters. I was stupid enough not to realize the gravity of the situation and things I was putting at stake.
- Learning to prioritize things.
- Value judgement
- Avoiding smugness
- Communicate
Mistake 2: Tanking the IBM interview in Summers
This was more of a gamble gone wrong rather than a mistake. I would say a honest and rather stupid mistake after looking at what happened at summers.
No comments:
Post a Comment